Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hodge Podge

So, for those of you who don't know - I've had a huge crush on Britney Spears since before her debut album "...Baby One More Time" dropped in 1998. I got a poster of her in her now infamous school girl outfit from my brother for my birthday. I got her album for Christmas - I think it's still at my parents house. Needless to say, it was hard to watch her crumble from a gorgeous young starlet to an overweight, mentally unstable divorcee with substance abuse problems. They were trying times for all of us.

While the new documentary style piece about her on MTV, Britney: For the Recrd clearly shows that everything is not entirely normal in her life (her dad essentially micro-manages it for her) she is turning it around and getting back on track. It evokes a lot of empathy for her and the high-pressure roller coaster he life has been through the years. Her new album, Circus is out in stores and the video for her single Womanizer clearly shows that her body has never been better - seriously check it out. Now I just need to see if I can find that poster again. Then again, maybe it's time to get a new one and support the "comeback" effort.

Changing gears a bit, I think Somerville has a disturbingly large population of slugs and worms. While the cold weather has sent them hiding now, the first 2-3 months of the school year while I would walk to work I would see easily a dozen or more slugs and worms all over the sidewalks. Why? It hadn't been raining often, so that's no explanation for the worms. I can't fathom why the Somerville sidewalks are so appealing to slugs either. Essentially the concrete sidewalks just morph into a walkway of death for these little guys and I have to dodge them on a daily basis. Anyone with any information as to what they are doing out there and why Somerville has such a high concentration of them would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to quickly plug the work of some friends. Neil has a nice little website I use to kill time at work and also keep up to date on what other people's opinions on various etiquette situations are so I can work to limit my social awkwardness. Check out www.definingetiquette.com if you want to see what it's all about or kill part of your workday.

Also, congrats to Bloom for avoiding a round of layoffs and remaining gainfully employed. If you want to see the high quality stories he is reporting on start here and it should be clear why he's still working hard out west.

As always, any and all commentary is appreciated and the tip for today is: Don't drive into downtown Boston with the idea that you'll be parking for free, that isn't happening.

No comments: