Thursday, March 13, 2008

Work Sucks - Or Why I'm A Bitch

So it's March. I've been a full-time employee for about 6 months now and I am already starting to get frustrated with showing up to work. This has been a common problem for me in the past, where after awhile I just get tired of some facet of the job I am doing and it makes it very difficult for me to find the requisite motivation to go to work.
I am currently trying to identify why it is that I don't feel like going to work at my current job, because as far as I can tell it's a pretty sweet deal.

Let's review:
I have virtually no direct supervision, so I am free to take the job in whatever direction I want really and I never get my balls busted for being a few minutes late in the morning.
I am working with high-school kids who are for the most part very cool.
I am working on getting kids into college, which is something I am relatively knowledgeable about and find both interesting and rewarding.
I get all school vacations [Thanksgiving, Christmas, February, April].
I almost never have to "bring any work home" with this job. Once I am out of the office, I am done with work.

Where is the downside in all of this you might ask? Here are a few issues:
I work with high-school kids and they ca be very frustrating.
I work on a salary and it is not very high.
I have an hour commute to work - each way.
School starts at 7:45AM. I operate better on a 10/11AM-1/2AM schedule then a 6AM-10/11PM one.


Basically, I am complaining because I have a long commute to work, don't make as much money as I want to and can't sack up and adjust my lifestyle to fit my life.

I AM NOT IN COLLEGE ANYMORE. NORMAL PEOPLE WORK. EDUCATION RELATED JOBS DON'T MEET NIGHTS.

I knew what the commute was going to be like, I knew what the salary was going to be and I knew what the time requirements were when I signed up and now I am using all of these things as a complaint and an excuse to gripe about my job. I have a pretty sweet deal and I just can't help but get away from the slippery slope that is "the grass is always greener" argument. Sure I could be making more money. I could also be working a ton more hours, be doing something I abhor or worse yet, be unemployed.
Sure, maybe this isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life but until then I need to grow up an accept the fact that I have a pretty sweet deal. Meanwhile I'll be looking out for a job that let's me work from home on my own time and still pays the bills.

No comments: