Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Formatting changes and random distractions

As you may have noticed, do to some negative commentary on the color scheme and layout of the blog, I have redone it to be a bit cheerier looking for one and easier on my eyes as I look at it. Hopefully this satisfies those of you thinking this is a huge negativity zone. I'll go negative when I feel like it, but I don't want that to be people's thoughts as soon as the page opens. I also added Kantos' blog and a links section for easier navigation away from my blog (not that you should ever want to leave). As for future changes, I'll be looking to add some pictures when appropriate and as far as content goes let's just say you won't want to miss the daily diary of my 100/100 week.

After I finished my dinner tonight I was having a package of those new(ish) Chips Ahoy! 100 calorie thin crisps cookie packs. They taste like a normal cookie would, but are wafer thin and much smaller than a regular cookie. They kind of reminded me of what a normal cookie might look like after being transported across the room like Mike TV in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Hell, for all I know Wonka cooked these bad boys up special for the Oompa-Loompa's years ago and they are just hitting the market recently. As tasty as I found the pack of cookies, I feel strongly that these are a bad product for the average obese, snack loving American. Just because they are 100 calories only per pack won't stop people from eating multiple packs (they weren't exactly filling). There resemblance to potato chips is also disturbing as everyone knows that once you start digging into a bag of chips it is near impossible to stop eating them. So while I applaud the makers of these Chips Ahoy! bizzaro thin cookies and their 100 calorie bags for trying to look out for the fat people while still turning a massive profit I just can't help but think that this will do more harm than good. I can just hear people tearing into pack after pack of these minuscule cookie delights and rationalizing it by telling themselves "it's only 100 calories." Sure, but 100 calories a pack times 5 packs isn't exactly going to help you out any. I can't wait to see how many companies will try to make smaller, "calorie conscious" packages of their products.

After my highly entertaining foray into cookie eating and theorizing I attempted to do some homework and started reading a book for my Healthcare in America class. As I was reading about the development of the very fragmented system of healthcare in the US I came across a very interesting tidbit that totally derailed my reading for about 30 minutes. Apparently in 1929 you could choose to pay 50 cents per month as a premium that would cover up to 21 days of hospitalization per year. I wondered to myself how much money that was in 2007 dollars, since at the time $6 a year for up to 3 weeks of hospitalization seemed like a fair deal. So naturally I hopped onto Google and started looking up conversion factors and found one for converting dollar of any year from 1825 to 1999 into year 2000 dollars. After doing the conversion factor and having people better than I at math look it over, it appears that the "mere" 50 cents per month for hospitalization insurance in 1929 would work out to nearly $5,000 a month in the year 2000. Not such a sweet deal anymore at all. You can reverse the conversion factor too, and I spent a good 20 minutes converting various products and salaries from 2000 dollars into dollars from years gone by.

Very fascinating, especially since that constituted "doing work" for the night. What a life...

5 comments:

kantos said...

wait.

100/100 week? as in the mile/beer one??? I need some details about this one

Orfield said...

Cleveland, I miss you. Kantos's blog says you want to start drinking casually more. Want to go to The Burren in April? Maybe some night that isn't Thursday, just for kicks and a couple beers? Bring Sully...

kantos said...

100/100 as in miles and beer? oh man give me some details about this one

Cleveland said...

Yes Kantos that is exactly what it sounds like. I'll be looking to people like you for some company on both portions of my journey if you are around Tufts at all. Week is TBA as of now.

Neil,
Rumor has it you are moving back here soon. Please let it be true. I would love to go to the Burren on any night of the week and have a few beers. I'll book Sully now, since I think he has like a one month retainer period because he is so popular.

Bloom said...

Dude, somebody send Sully to Madrid please. We all know he wants to return. Anyway, Cleveland, read the one thing about military hospitals and realize that we're all in some sort of fractured fairy tale a la Rocky and Bullwinkle. Best of luck with the class and tell Neil (I wanted to spell it "Neal" to spite him) how much the Twins suck. That goes for Kantos too.

Go Phillies,
Bloom